Easy now – this is for a great cause. Lets take the plunge.
It’s almost time for the 3rd annual Special Olympics Polar Plunge where you get to see your favourite celebrities plunge into an icy swimming pool in support of the athletes of Special Olympics.
Following the success of the previous Plunges and the recent win at the Special Olympics Summer World Games, Special Olympics South Africa is going even BIGGER this year by challenging celebrities, media, corporate leaders, government officials and the organization’s own ambassadors to brave the freezing waters and plunge for a purpose.
Founded in the US, the Polar Plunge is an annual fundraiser presented by Special Olympics USA as a fun and unique opportunity for individuals, organizations and businesses to support Special Olympics athletes by raising money to jump into frigid Icy waters. The Plunge has been supported by a number of celebrities in the United States including Lady Gaga, Jimmy Fallon, Vince Vaughn, Dax Shepard, Alec Baldwin, Johnny Knoxville and the Mayor of New York amongst others.
This fun-filled annual event was started to raise awareness about Special Olympics South Africa and the work that they do in using sport to empower over 55 000 athletes living with an intellectual disability in South Africa.
The event also acts as a fundraiser to help support Special Olympics activities nationally.
Companies have the opportunity to participate through the “Toss your Boss” initiative where employees can fund-raise and nominate their boss to take the plunge on behalf of the company. A number of companies have already committed including Ford SA, Visionview Sports Radio, Digilogix and Labournet.
Some of the plungers will also be fundraising to support their own dives by asking their supporters to sponsor them. The public can go online and sponsor their favourite celebrity at https://www.backabuddy.co.za/champion/project/polar-plunge
Special Olympics South Africa will be hosting their 3rd edition of the Polar Plunge on the 31st August with a target of 100 committed celebrities taking the plunge this year.
This year’s list of celebrities, Special Olympics South Africa ( SOSA) ambassadors and other well-known individuals taking the plunge include:
- Dr Matthews Phosa (Special Olympics South Africa Chairman)
- Nomuzi Mabena (Hip Hop Artist / TV Personality)
- Kim Jayde (MTV Presenter and SOSA Ambassador)
- Nicole Capper (Survivor contestant)
- Mark Fish (Bafana Bafana Coach and SOSA Ambassador)
- Gigi La Mayne (Hip Hop Artist)
- Kay Sibiya (Acclaimed SA actor and SOSA Ambassador)
- Rouge (Hip Hop Artist)
- Bujy Bikwa (Metro FM)
- John Vlismas (Comedian)
- Clint Brink (Actor/ Musician)
- Christopher Jafta (TV Personality)
- Big Star – (Hip Hop Artist)
- Candice Abrahams (ex Mrs World)
- Thami Dish (Activist)
- Gareth ‘Soldierboy’ McLennan (EFC Champion and SOSA Ambassador)
- Harmony Katulondi (Top Billing presenter)
- Dimpie Dimpopo (Comedian)
- Cedric Fourie (Actor)
- Farieda Metsileng (MTV Presenter)
- Mpho Pops (Comedian)
- Tino Chinyani (Model / TV Personality)
- Stacey Holland (Fitness Fanatic)
- Taylor Jaye (Namibian Artist)
- Lynn Forbes (SOSA Ambassador)
- Paul Kamanga ( Welterweight boxer and SOSA Ambassador)
In addition, a long list of business leaders, politicians and individuals have also committed to take the plunge in support of the athletes of Special Olympics South Africa.
Sponsor your favourite celebrity on the link above or even start your own plunge challenge. Lets show our support by keeping the conversation about the Special Olympics going.
Show Comments (0)